Freitag, 22. Februar 2013

Linux Skype "send file via drag & drop"-problem

Hello everyone!

Skype on Linux isn't as bad as many think it is...I guess. At least for me the most important features work as good as so I would never come to the idea that I needed to boot windows in order to have a convenient conversation.

There are some minor "flaws" though - e.g features in the UI microsoft didn't (want to?) make work on linux. One of those is the fact that you cannot simply drag a file from nautilus/konqueror/thunar (I only confirmed thunar, so correct me if this is an xfce-only problem) and drop it onto the skype window to send it. Thus, you will probably need to click on the (+), then "send file" and the navigate to the file (again). If you are used to have the system file manager open in the file-to-send's folder next to your skype window, this is not really a nice workflow to be honest, compared to what is possible in the windows version.

I spend quite some time researching on this, so I guess that I have to tell that this lack isn't "fixable" as of now unfortunately (although I would be glad to have someone correct me here, too).
BUT I just found out another way to simplify the process by accident:

Skype seems to accept files to send from the clipboard!

Thus, ctrl-c with the desired file selected in your file manager and then ctrl+v inside skype will have the same effect as dragging and dropping on windows and is almost as convenient.

I hope this text will be findable in google so others may see this alternate solution, too. If you like this "workaround" or have a better solution, leave a comment.

Until then: Good bye!

Yours suluke

1 Kommentar:

  1. Awesome, thanks, would have never guessed trying to paste in the chat window sends the file. :)

    AntwortenLöschen

Thanks for spending time on giving me feedback. I really appreciate it :)